Dogwatch simply wouldn’t exist without our amazing volunteers. We rely on them every single day of the year and we are enormously grateful for their dedication to helping us save and improve dogs’ lives.
Volunteering is a big commitment but it’s hugely rewarding too.
To become a Dogwatch volunteer, you must be:
- Over 18 years old
- Able to commit to a roster
- Available to volunteer at least twice a month for a minimum of six months
- Keen to learn and willing to undertake training where relevant (eg dog handling, health and safety)
We require volunteers to help in several areas of our operations.
Adoption Centre volunteer opportunities
There are a range of volunteer roles at our adoption centre. Some involve dealing with the public and some are solely working ‘behind the scenes’. Please note these roles require good physical fitness and can involve working with chemicals.
Behind the scenes tasks at the adoption centre include:
- Cleaning kennels and yards
- Feeding the dogs
- Exercising and training the dogs
- Assisting with medications and grooming
- General housekeeping (eg mopping, laundry)
- Maintenance and gardening
Customer service tasks at the adoption centre include:
- Greeting people as they arrive
- Introducing people to our dogs
- Answering questions about dogs and our adoption process
- Facilitating adoption applications
- Answering calls
- Handling sales (merchandise, treats etc)
Variety Shop volunteer opportunities
Our variety shop in New Brighton is the oil that keeps the Dogwatch engine running. We couldn’t survive without the income this shop generates from the sale of items our kind supporters donate to us. As a volunteer at the shop, you’ll work alongside our dedicated staff and other volunteers and become an important part of the Dogwatch family.
Variety Shop tasks include:
- Sorting and pricing donated goods
- Displaying items
- Opening and closing the store
- Assisting customers
- Handling sales
Fundraising volunteer opportunities
Fundraising is essential to our continued existence. It requires creativity, commitment and a can-do attitude. We have a fundraising committee and a team of volunteers who particularly enjoy working at events and on fundraising activities. We’re always keen for new ideas and more hands on deck.
Fundraising tasks include:
- Creating and planning events and activities
- Investigating ideas for revenue generation
- Helping out at events and market stalls
- Helping to organise fundraising activities
- Sourcing items for prizes, raffles etc
If you’d like to join our team of volunteers or you have any questions about volunteering, please email Patria, our Volunteer Coordinator.